Friday, December 16, 2005

Sorry About the Bitter

I just wanted to let the world know that while Melissa and I may be sickening, we're not all about that. It has been brought to our attention from a couple of sources that these holidays must be so much nicer for us since we're in love and getting engaged and everything. Before I being ranting, let me just say that I'm very much looking forward to spending my holidays with my girl and I love her very much, however:

Where do people in the church get this idea that life sucks if you don't have someone to hold? We get this idea from the world (movies, books, TV) that when you've got someone suddenly birds fly a little slower, the sun shines a little brighter, the sky is a little bluer, etc. The problem is that in Christ our lives aren't dead and empty without a significant other. The world isn't right. As single people Melissa and I both were happy, fulfilled, and *cough* Purpose Driven. My life was good before I met her, and hers was good before she met me. People who center their lives in Christ should not need another person to bring joy and completion into their lives. I constantly feel this implicit stigma in church towards the 'unattached' as if somehow they're suffering and they'll be happy once they get someone to cook and clean and have sex with. Read I Corinthians 7. Marriage is a blessing, but so is singleness.

Once again, I think Melissa is great, and I'm really happy I met her and we're going to get married, but she doesn't give my life value any more than I give her life value.

No comments: