Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Part II: The First Month

Melissa and I decided to go out the Tuesday after we got back from Mexico, leaving about three and a half weeks before she went to Georgia for training. I decided that it would be a good idea to have dinner and then go sit at Starbucks, so I called her that Monday as I went to get fitted for my tux for the Perdue wedding and asked her if she wanted to go to The Texas Roadhouse. She was very happy that steak was on the menu, and I was very happy that she was happy that steak was on the menu. A woman after my own heart.

I picked her up around five that Tuesday, a little nervous, she'd already told me that her dad and older brother were going to beat me up, plus she was all dressed up, and as most of you know, very beautiful. I brought flowers, because wisdom says you’re never supposed to go get a girl without bringing her something. Her brother and dad weren't there though, only JosuĂ©, Milca , and Nohema. So I met her little brother, her mom and her sister-in-law. Nohema was very very pregnant when I met her, and on all fours, in the process of cleaning the bathroom floor. Apparently the lady likes to clean. I don't remember what Milca asked me, just that she showed me their back yard for a few minutes, then we went to dinner. For those of you that know me, I'm not a real talker so it's saying something that I was at least entertaining enough to get a second date for nearly five hours that night. It was fun, I don't remember much, just that I enjoyed myself.

We went back to her house later, the door was locked and so she knocked so someone would let her in. Kevin, the 13 year old brother came to the door, we saw him look at us then leave to go get his beanie to look tough then he came back and answered the door. I said hi to her dad and older brother, both Ricardo. They paid me only passing interest, or maybe didn't want to admit that I exist, I couldn't say. We agreed to go out again the following Saturday, I was going to take her to the beach in Santa Cruz.

Two days later on Thursday I called her up again. Neither one of us wanted to wait for the weekend so we decided to go to Starbucks after I was done with Bible study that night. It was cold that night, and knowing what I know now, that was very uncomfortable for Melissa sitting out there for a couple of hours talking. By the time we were ready to go Melissa was wearing my sweater on top of her jacket. Anyway, it was really good to know that she liked me as much as I liked her. I came over to her house again on Friday night and talked with her older brother for a little while, he decided that he liked me after discovering that I had a degree in Electrical Engineering, which was better than the beating with a baseball bat that Melissa had often promised me. We spent that night looking for a church she could go to in Georgia and found the one I think she ended up attending for her six months there.

The next morning I picked her up and we stopped for breakfast at Jack in the Box. Come to think of if, we go to Jack in the Box for spicy chicken sandwiches all the time even now. The drive down to Santa Cruz was nice, but right when we drop down out of the mountains we hid the fog and the cold, and for those of you who don't know Melissa, she really doesn't like the cold. We ended up driving from the Boardwalk along the cliffs by the cliffs there until we got to the Natural Bridges Park. We walked on the beach and on the rocks and sat down for a bit to watch the ocean, she might not like the cold, but she does like the water, more specifically the beach. We left the beach and drove up Highway 1 to 92, checking out all of the cool (and cold beaches) along that stretch. Once again, and I say amazingly, we spent an extended period of time together and didn't really get bored.

That night she came to Crossroads with Roberto Thompson so we could go to the Mexico wrap up at Julia's house. It was kind of weird trying to interact with someone who might appropriately be called my girl friend around a whole bunch of people I didn't really want to be in the know quite yet. We spent the evening at Julia's house recounting our good times in Ensenada, I think everyone there knew we were going out and Kara of course told everyone she knew it. (except for Roberto, I think I actually told him and a look of great understanding came over his face and he told me that he though we were just really good friends)

The next day I was hanging out at the Starkey's for a Forth of July youth party and Melissa came by after church to play ping pong and see my people. She was alright at ping pong, not as good as me, which isn't really very good at all. Also awkward to trying to look like I was trying, but not trying to really kick butt. We talked to Andrea, and Nancy and Andrea seemed particularly pleased with herself over us as a couple. We left from there to go to the Circuit City parking lot and set off fireworks. Melissa's one year old nephew , Daniel, played with the bleached blond hair on my arms and called me a "mono" (monkey in English) . That was fun too.

I saw her again on Tuesday, we were taking her brothers to a baseball game, the Giants were playing the Rockies. I never know what I'm thinking when I go to SBC Park and I don't bring a winter parka, Melissa didn't really know what she was getting into either and we were both freezing cold for three hours. The only redeeming thing was that the Giant's lost (and I got to spend time with Melissa).

Before we were dating I had invited my parents over to the Nicolet house for some BBQ compliments of Nate, so I brought Melissa over to meet my parents. My mom was so tickled I think I could have been dating a seven foot five hundred pound troll and she would have been thrilled. Melina, relatively fresh off her Italy experience and in the middle of summer may have been darker than Melissa. I don’t remember what all happened. The important thing is that everyone met each other and it was a good time.

Next Saturday was Jackson's wedding. I didn't get to sit with her, but I did get to point her out to John Pack and Adam Richman. John correctly noted that she was beautiful. Then I watched her beat Nate Berge up in the food line. Finally, while people were eating I got to go see her and hang out. After that the wedding party had to dance, but then I got to go sit with her and introduce her to everyone who came by. She went to the bathroom, and while she was in there in the stall apparently Jackson's mom and Adam's mom came in and started talking about 'Jesse's new girl friend.' She then walked out and they quickly apologized for talking about her. Horrible awkwardness. After all the rounds had been made and the newlyweds jumped ship we said our goodbyes and went back towards home. We stopped at the Kaiser in Hayward to see Melissa's sister in law and the new baby, Andrew , who may have been the fattest, hairiest baby ever. After that we ended up back in Fremont, where Adam was passed out drunk on the couch at the Nicolet house after having consumed much champagne in fear of dancing earlier. We had dinner with the Pack's that night. John paid that night because he "felt like he owed us $100 dollars because just a month ago he said that he would pay a hundred dollars to meet the girl who would knock my socks off." And the socks had clearly been knocked off.

Some time after that I took her for Thai food. This was my first experience with the Melissa who just would not eat something that was clearly delicious. No matter how hard I tried to convince her that it was awesome she just wouldn't eat it. It was a little frustrating. Note to self: She already likes steak and potatoes, don't push your luck.

I don't really remember the rest, it just felt horrible knowing that she was going to be gone from the middle of July to the middle of January. We said our goodbyes and that was that, she was off to Georgia until Thanksgiving. Georgia is a long way from Fremont, California.

2 comments:

Jesse and Melissa said...

I can't wait either. It's coming up fast. After Christmas it will only be about three months aways. Very exciting. I can't wait to get the bridesmaid dress. I'm going to call you sometime this week.

Marla Bean said...

You guys are kinda sweet and kinda sickening. ;)