Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Weight Gain Weight Loss!


After my car accident I gain approximately 12 lbs, due to not exercising and not being able to cook as much as I did because I was in pain. Therefore, Jesse and I ate out more than we normally did. 12 pounds doesn’t sound like a lot but on a 5 foot petite woman like me it was a lot of weight.

Once I got my strength back and was physically able to exercise (primarily weight lifting and running) I really started to get back into the habit. After three months of working out and running like crazy, I actually had not lost a pound but actually gained weight from my muscle gain (or fat but I prefer to think it was muscle). It was ridiculous! I was lifting the most I had ever lifted and was running 6 miles 3 or 4 times a week and nothing was happening.

I decided that if exercising wasn’t helping me lose weight that I would have to change my eating habits. I was debating between starting the Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers, but I eventually chose Weight Watchers because it fit my lifestyle that I have.

First couple of weeks I was quite hungry but my appetite eventually changed. Slowly but gradually the weight starting coming off between 1-2 lbs a week since mid September of this year. Hiking Machu Picchu made not only me lose weight but Jesse too. Jesse lost like 10 lbs hiking in Peru and I lost like 5 lbs. Weight Watchers completely changed my point of view on eating; I’m eating and feeling SO much healthier. I have horrible migraines and ever since I starting eating better my migraines have drastically reduced to almost never happening.

All in all, I have lost 16 lbs with only a few more pounds to go just because we all want to lose those 5 extra pounds, eating and exercising better (though I haven’t exercised since Peru, but that’s somewhat understandable). I still eat my pizza, chocolate and other yummy bad food but now I know what junk food costs me. That doesn’t mean I’m staying away from them forever but only once in a blue moon.


Melissa

2 comments:

Mark said...

Nice job. I read this one to Jeanine. She said "I didn't know Melissa was on Weight Watchers. She doesn't talk much." and I replied, "that is why you have to read her blog." She said she was going to start up again in January.

Mark said...

PS: By the way, I noticed you lost weight, but I thought I was just seeing things. I bet that will teach you to have another accident :)