Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ensenada Vacation


For my dad's birthday, Jesse and I decided to take my parents and my two little brothers to Ensenada, Mexico. My dad needed a vacation so we went last weekend. We had a very good time. We visited the mission site (the clinic) that we go to every year, the Bufadora (the blowhole), ate some good food and hung out at the beach. We stayed at a vacation rental home right on Punto Estero which is a pennisula a little south of Ensenada. That is where all the Americans own their nice homes.

So on Friday night we left Fremont and drove down to Oceanside until the sun came up. After some breakfast at Denny's, we crossed the border Saturday morning. We got to Ensenada way before our check-in time so we went to the Gigante bought some drinks and a phone because I had to call the doctor. We visited the Doctor at the clinic. I found the neighborhood kids, three of them in particular Jesus, Sylvia and Isaac.

The doctor invited to eat carne asada, my dad's and Jesse's favorite food. There was a lot of food which was delicious although Kevin and Josue (my little brother's) didn't want to eat anything. Jesse and my dad ate alot, alot.

Then we went to Costco, yes there is a Costco in Ensenada. We went to Costco because my dad wanted to find a bilingual dictionary for my little cousin but instead we bought some jeans for Jesse. We were extremely exhausted by then so we decided to go to the house we rented even though it wasn't time check. But fortunately when we got there the lady was very nice and allowed us to check in a few hours early. So we slept.

It was about 6:00 p.m. when Jesse and I woke up. Everyone was hungry so Jesse and I left to the city to buy some food. It takes about half an hour to get to the city from where we were. So we got to the Calimax (the supermarket) around 7:00 p.m. and the place was busy. It took about one hour to shop. They have the best bread ever. They have "El Pan del Muerto" meaning the "Bread of the Dead" for The Day of The Dead. It was a giant bread. Jesse had a miniature version of this 1 kilo dessert.

Back at the house, my mother was freaking out because it had almost been 2 hours since we left. She thought maybe we had gotten lost or someone had abducted us. My mom wanted to call us on our cell phones but they didn't work in Mexico. My dad said that my mom would walk to the window every five minutes to see if we were coming home. We arrived a little later and had some dinner.

Sylvia and Isaac told me that it was there brother's birthday the following day so on Sunday after church we had cake and ice cream with the Jesus' parents, brother and sister and some other kids.




After that we went to the Bufadora and bought some trinkets and ate at Habana Cabana's. We had some good food there and the band was great. We played Scrabble for the rest of the evening. Monday we had some breakfast and stopped at various places to shop including in Rosarito. We arrived at Fremont around 1 a.m.

2 comments:

Marla Bean said...

Wow... I wish my family would decide to pack it in and head to Mexico. We don't do anything together, very often any way. It's kind of sad, since my dad is so sick. But looks like you had a great time (albeit busy)!

Jesse and Melissa said...

My parents have always done that, especially when I was a kid. They would say, "Get ready we are going somewhere!" and off we'd go.